Archive suddenly empty

Home Forums Basic setup Archive suddenly empty

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Quirin 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #966

    Quirin
    Participant

    Hi,

    First of all: Thanks for this great tool!

    I have used TAGS over the last couple of days and I have a spreadsheet which has grown to contain about 60,000 tweets. I know that that’s a lot, my plan was to start a new sheet when the first error message regarding maximum size appears. I need to monitor certain words over longer stretches of time, so that was going to happen sooner or later. I had done this before and it worked last time.

    However, this time the document seems to have collapsed in that the ‘Archive’ doesn’t show any tweets anymore.

    Exporting the data doesn’t work either. I managed to export it to a .xlsx file, but Excel crashes when I try to open it. Export to .ods doesn’t work, the download simply doesn’t start. And exporting the ‘Archive’ sheet to .csv starts the download, but the file is empty.

    What could be the reason and how could I fix it?

    Thanks and best regards,
    Quirin

    #967

    Quirin
    Participant

    Update: I managed to open the .xlsx file with LibreOffice. Unfortunately, the ‘Archive’ sheet is empty there too, though. The file is about 18 MB, so I guess the archive data should be somewhere in the file though, right?

    #968

    mhawksey
    Keymaster

    The size would suggest something is in it. One thing to look at is if the Archive is completely empty. When the script runs it inserts the required number of rows and writes the data. If it fails on the writing part it appears to may have empty rows. I’d test if scrolling through the archive reveals any data.

    If still no joy there is an alternative export option mentioned here https://tags.hawksey.info/forums/topic/exporting-archive-problem/#post-310

    #969

    Quirin
    Participant

    Thanks for your quick reply!

    I checked again and you’re right: The first 991 rows are empty, but there is data below that. Sorry, I didn’t scroll down long enough before. Thanks a million!

    Follow-up question: Is there a clever way of avoiding the size limit in the future? It’s not possible to split or automatically create new sheets once the current one is full, right? This would be a brilliant feature! And I think I read somewhere that about 30,000 rows per sheet are the maximum, is that correct? Then I guess I’ll try to keep track and manually split sheets when they are close to that number.

    And then one last thing: You don’t happen to know why the .ods export doesn’t work, do you? Opening the .xlsx with Libre Office is a reasonable workaround though, so it’s not a big deal.

    Thanks again!
    Quirin

    #970

    mhawksey
    Keymaster

    Good you found the data 🙂

    The 30,000 is my advised limit because as you’ve found sheets can get unstable when they fill up. The documented limit is 2 million cells. There are various ways to receive a notification/automation when a sheet fills up but to my knowledge they all require custom code. I’m starting some more development work in the next couple of months so this may feature.

    No idea on the ods, it may be Google servers can’t cope with generating large .ods files

    #971

    Quirin
    Participant

    Alright, I see, thanks again for your quick help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in