Un-truncated tweets from list of tweet ids
I’ve been using TAGS but have run into a bit of a problem with truncated tweets, usually (but not always) retweets, ending with “…”.
As the content (and not just the number) of tweets is important to me, I tried to use the “build archive from tweet IDs” function on TAGS. However, I cannot find a way to tweak the scripts for this so that I instead get the full, untruncated tweets (if indeed that is even possible!).
Is there any way this can be achieved? From my Googling and forum searching, it seems, possibly, to have something to do with the attribute “tweet_mode” but I may be completely wrong on that count!
Many thanks for such a helpful tool 🙂
Hi – the truncating was a bug I only picked up recently. This should be fixed in v6.1.5 (accessed when you click on the TAGS v6.1 link). If you copy your IDs into a copy of this version it should work. If not let me know and I’ll look into further
Unless I am making some kind of silly mistake, I don’t think it’s working.
I have tested again to make sure, but when pasting tweet IDs into the ID sheet and hitting “build archive from tweet IDs”, it looks as if longer tweets (e.g. RTs to lots of people) are quickly running up against the 140 character limit and then cutting off to “…”.
I can send examples, if that would help?
Thank you very much.
Yes some sample IDs would help. Thanks 🙂
I’m guessing you don’t need too many, Martin. (I can send more, if that would help!) Here are four. On the TAGS sheet, the ends of these are slightly cut off when I try to build an archive from the IDs, with the “…” ending.
Following the URLs for each, it looks as if a little bit of each is cut off the end. Thanks 🙂
So it turns out tweet_mode=extended doesn’t return the full_text on RTs ;s
The full text is however available by other means. So if you take a copy of the template now (v6.1.6) you should get the full text. Not tested this extensively so worth having half an eye on any weirdness
Martin, you are a living legend. Thank you. Fix appears to have done the trick — at least on the test IDs. Many thanks for your help, and for creating this really handy tool!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.