Search by location / radius

Home Forums TAGSExplorer Questions/Issues Search by location / radius

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sophie Chavanel
    Participant

Is it possible to search by location/radius AND #?

Thanks

mhawksey
    Keymaster

you can but you need to go digging. In copy of TAGS open Tools > Script editor and you should see a line

//var advParams = {"geocode": "40.714353,-74.005973,30mi"};

remove the // at the beginning and enter the co-ordinates and radius for your results area. Save the script and it will filter using this parameter.

For more details about geocode see the offical documentation.

aborruso
    Participant

Hi mhawksey,
    I have decommented the code and I have:
    var advParams = {“geocode”: “38.120444, 13.354271,30mi”};

But if I run it using keyword “palermo” I have no result, and it’s strange because if I comment again the above code, I have some result with “loc: 38.11597234,13.3652909” coordinates.

What’s wrong in my procedure?

Thank you

mhawksey
    Keymaster

Hi – looks like it doesn’t like spaces in the geocode. Trying:

var advParams = {"geocode": "38.120444,13.354271,30mi"};

appears to work for me 🙂

aborruso
    Participant

Hi mhawksey,
    first of all thank you.

It works but there is something strange. I have set this:
    var advParams = {“geocode”: “38.120444,13.354271,3mi”};

I have searched the string “orlando”, and I have had results with coordinates very far from my point. An example is a record with geo_coordinates = “loc: 28.52733,-81.308998”.

Is it normal?

aborruso
    Participant

I add that I have set also “var advParams = {“lang”: “it”};”, but I have results in es, en-gb, en, etc.

Thank you

mhawksey
    Keymaster

Hi – not sure why twitter is screwing up the location – it may be a flaw with their API. In terms of lang are you using this in combination with location, if so the syntax would be

var advParams = {"geocode": "38.120444,13.354271,30mi", "lang": "it"};

aborruso
    Participant

It works. Thank you

aborruso
    Participant

Hi,
    I have created this spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VB8BTd0-0L1I6gdk_QSclBq_VBkPpHjkhafL4ur6sko/edit?usp=sharing

In the script I have set
    var advParams = {“geocode”: “37.557503,14.292416,8mi”};

If I use twitter advanced search (near:37.557503,14.292416 within:8mi), it seems that I have much more results.

Is it normal?

Thank you

mhawksey
    Keymaster

Afraid so – this is a limitation of the Search API. Twitter says:

Before getting involved, it’s important to know that the Search API is focused on relevance and not completeness. This means that some Tweets and users may be missing from search results

Nicola Osborne
    Participant

I was wondering what the best way to use different set of parameters for different TAGS sheets might be.

It looks as if the Script Editor always goes for the default client so if I change the location parameters that will apply to all of my (many) TAGS sheets.

To get around this I have saved the script as a new version with a new name and that seems to have retained the connection to the current TAGS sheet, but allowed me to set distinct parameters. Does that sound like an appropriate solution or is there a better way to do this?

Any advice much appreciated.

mhawksey
    Keymaster

Hi Nicola, whilst the script for each TAGS archive looks the same it’s actual unique to each Google Sheet so you can edit individual scripts and not worry about it affecting other copies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.