Own tweets don't display

Home Forums Basic setup Own tweets don't display

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    droyles
    Participant

I’m using TAGS to archive student tweets for two courses that I’m teaching. I set up a page for each course hashtag, and sent test tweets from two accounts. The tweets that I sent from the account that is linked to the pages doesn’t show up, but the other one does. Is that supposed to happen, or am I doing something wrong? Can I change the settings to display my tweets as well?

mhawksey
    Keymaster

This sometimes happens and I’m not sure why. The basic advice is the search API isn’t 100% reliable

We find that the search API over-represents the more central users and does not offer an accurate picture of peripheral activity; we also find that the bias is greater for the network of mentions – González-Bailón, Sandra, et al. “Assessing the bias in communication networks sampled from twitter.” Available at SSRN 2185134 (2012).http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2185134

Jman
    Participant

Yes, and from the Twitter docs: “Before getting involved, it’s important to know that the Search API is focused on relevance and not completeness. This means that some Tweets and users may be missing from search results.”

Martin, is it possible to use the streaming api’s track parameter instead of the search api with TAGS? Could you point me to the place I can tinker with this (e.g., google spreadsheet script, etc.)?

mhawksey
    Keymaster

Hi – I’d missed that reference in the twitter docs so thanks for highlighting. Unfortunately, Google Apps Script, which powers this solution has several limitations including total server time and the length of time a script can run. Currently scripts can only run for 6 minutes. Even if you could chain execution of the script I don’t think Apps Script can keep a connection open (I think it only returns the response body after the connection has been closed by the server)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.