Older tweets

Home Forums TAGSExplorer Questions/Issues Older tweets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pedro Meirelles
    Participant

Hi! I learned from TAGS on the MOOC with Jean Burgees and Axel Bruns. Since then I`ve been a loyal user from the platform.

Yesterday I was watching The Voice and I decided and I wanted to see all the tweets people were creating. So I set up a search on TAGS to collect the data. The problem is I did that after the show started, so I missed some of the previous tweets.

Now my collection is running and still going until the last hour. The problem is I wanted to go back (the show started at 4 pm, and I started collecting around 4:40) to get the tweets from the beginning of the show – from before 4:40. Is there a way I can do that?

Thanks!

mhawksey
    Keymaster

Hi Pedro,

The problem is if there are more than 18k tweets in a day you can’t page back far enough to get the earlier ones. I’ve tried tricking the API in a number of ways e.g. giving it a tweet to search from but I’ve been unsuccessful in getting any earlier tweets (btw whilst the default number of tweets you can collect is 3,000 for search results this can be increased to 18,000 – this does however wipe out all your search quota for 15 minutes

Pedro Meirelles
    Participant

Hi Martin! Thank you so much for your quick response, I really appreciate the support.

But my data collection it’s actually quite small: from 4:40 PM of yesterday until 5:17 PM as of today, there’s only 7849 tweets. I set it up to update every hour with the maximum retrieve of 1000 tweets.

So maybe if I change the # of tweets to be retrieved from every hour the script will go back for more? Maybe I can try this?

Agains, thanks so much for your help.

mhawksey
    Keymaster

The script can’t fill in missing data but worth trying a new copy of the archive and increasing the number of tweets collected to 18000 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.